Shallow Reason for Church Attendance

TheJason

Well, we've discussed how God won't help babies - I don't mean wussy liberal welfare recipients :D (being sarcastic) - so why are people going to church? Well, I think a lot of it is due to tradition - and also the church, with some - especially the conservative types - is seen as guardian of traditional values. But, obviously, if the believers think God is loving - then, they're only lying to themselves, a sort of self-induced delusion.

Well, we've discussed how God won't help babies - I don't mean wussy liberal welfare recipients :D (being sarcastic) - so why are people going to church? Well, I think a lot of it is due to tradition - and also the church, with some - especially the conservative types - is seen as guardian of traditional values. But, obviously, if the believers think God is loving - then, they're only lying to themselves, a sort of self-induced delusion.
One definitely needs a GOD in his life to keep himself in some kind of moral check.

O

Oh, I am an AGNOSTIC with a CHRISTIAN leaning and yes, the Church is quite a BULLY.

Salt

Even my more religious friends and acquantances only go to church for the major holidays. I think it may be a Northeast US thing as religion is now a cornerstone of our lives as much as it used to be.

Some do it for tradition, others just want to feel like they belong to a place. Me and the wife have discussed 'atheist churches' for the sole purpose of meeting like-minded people.

zoldos

Reality is just perception...
Staff member
One definitely needs a GOD in his life to keep himself in some kind of moral check.
Why is that? I'm an Atheist and have not even the slightest belief in any God or other deity, yet I have plenty of morals and am overall, one of the nicest guys around. Explain that.

Why is that? I'm an Atheist and have not even the slightest belief in any God or other deity, yet I have plenty of morals and am overall, one of the nicest guys around. Explain that.
Morals?? You are one of the biggest liars I have ever come across anywhere. Besides, your manipulative ways show you in very, very poor light. One does need a God to feel accountable to somebody.

zoldos

Reality is just perception...
Staff member
Morals?? You are one of the biggest liars I have ever come across anywhere. Besides, your manipulative ways show you in very, very poor light. One does need a God to feel accountable to somebody.
Umm....excuse me? Do you have anything to actually back up these claims? To be blunt if I may, you don't know shit about me.

The problem is a bit more complex - than being "nice". However, though, Christian Universalism, at least, gives the human race a chance.

Oh, I am an AGNOSTIC with a CHRISTIAN leaning and yes, the Church is quite a BULLY.
I think one of the biggest problems is gossip. Another problem, as noted by @zoldos on another forum, is that so many believe out of tradition (sort of being "normal") - and not out of a deep understanding. Well, it is true, backed by facts, that few seriously study the Bible.